Installing your preferred version of .NET on a Windows Server
By using the Windows server 2016, 2019 or 2022, we can install .NET Framework 3.5 which can be easily installed through Server Manager.
- Open 'Services' and double-click on the Windows Update service. If the service is set to Disabled (which it should be in most cases), then change the setting to Manual and click OK.
- Open the ‘Server Manager’ and navigate to the ‘Manage’ and then select ‘Add Roles and Features’.
- Click next to ‘Features’ section and select the option ‘.NET Framework 3.5’ then click ‘Next’ button.
- Click on ‘Install’ on the ‘Results’ section. It will start the installation process.
- Finally, when the .NET Framework 3.5 has been successfully installed on Windows server 2016, click on the ‘Close’ button to finalize the installation process.
- Return to the Services window and disable the Windows Update service.
- Restart the server!!!
This is a very important step and shouldn't ever be forgotten because Windows is in a bad state after installing .NET and without a reboot.